Reality Conditions

Friday, March 17, 2006

Chess Game at Chess Match

I have played several chess matches for the University team since last time I posted about one of them, and even a blitz inter-university tournment held at the Imperial College of London. But in the one I played today I was specially happy about my game, so I want to share it with you. (I also want to test an online chess editor I found). Background: we are playing as locals at the university, and just like the other time we had to default one board. The other 3 players of my team finished their games quicker than me this time: one won, one lost and one was a draw. So we were down 2.5 - 1.5 and the chance to get the score even was up to me, playing with Black in the first board. My game went:

White: D. Cronshaw - Black: A. Satz

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 Bf5 4. Nc3 e6 5. g4

Darn. Years ago, when I played chess virtually every day, I knew all these tricky variations of the Advance Caro-Kann by heart. Now I don't and I have to find my way by myself each time. Well, at least for this move there is no choice.

5... Bg6 6. Nge2 c5 7. Nf4

After the game my opponent suggested 7. Be3 as probably better.

7... cxd4 8. Qxd4 Nc6

I could have taken the c-pawn with the bishop, but my lag in development was beginning to look scary, so it didn't seem a good idea...

9. Bb5 Qa5 10. Nxg6

Quite a relief for me; my bishop had little play, and could eventually get trapped by h4-5.

10... hxg6 11. Bxc6

Probably my opponent wanted to prevent the simplifying 11...Qxb5 12. Nxb5 Nxd4 13. Nxd4.

11... bxc6 12. 0-0 Bb4 13. Ne2!

I was hoping for the natural 13. Bd2, which would be followed by 13...Rh3! with iniciative.

13... Bb5 14. Qf4 Rb8 15. c3 Rh3

I thought a lot of time for this move, and I am still not convinced it is the right one.The idea is to take squares from the white queen and answer the expected 16. Nd4 with 16... Rd3. On the other hand I must confess I don't know what I would have done after 16. Rd1.

16. Ng3

This made me happy, as the knight is going far from its ideal square d4 to a not very promising place. On the other hand, the rook in h3 is useless now...

16... Qd8

...so I try to make it useful by shifting sides the queen. The threat is 17... Qh5.

17. g5 Ne7 18. Kg2 Rh8 19. b4

Needed in order to develope the bishop. I seem to be losing space, but White is creating weaknesses at the same time.

19... Bb6 20. Be3 Nf5 21. Nxf5 gxf5 22. Rad1 Bc7

It is better to keek the bishop instead of exchanging it, as the White bishop is "bad" and mine can put pressure on his pawns, and indirectly, his king. 23. Bxa7 would be countered with 23... Ra8 24. Be3 25. Rxa2, followed by Qa8 controlling the a-file.

23. Rd2 Rb7 25. a3?

White is hoping to play c4, but overlooks Black's threat.

25... f6!

The position suddenly opens with disastrous consequences for White.

26. gxf6 gxf6 27. Bd4



26... c5!!

Ok, I know it is not modest to put a "!!" on a move I did myself, but I'm really proud of having seen it. It is a typical "intermediate" move: it seems pointless at the moment, but will prove crucial six moves ahead. Wait and see...

27. bxc5 fxe5 28. Bxe5 Bxe5 29. Qxe5 Qg5+ 30. Kh1

In case of 30. Kf3, I had planned 30... Rh3+ 31. Ke2 Qg4+ 32. Ke1 Rb1+ winning. Here we see the first point of 26... c5: to open the b-file for the rook. And it even has another one, which will be seen next...

30... Rxh2+ 31. Qxh2 (of course not 31. Kxh2?? Rh7 mate) Qxd2 32. Qh8+ Kd7 33. Qg7+

If I had not played 26... c5, this would be a problem for me as I would have to play 33... Kc8 and a few more checks would get him to take my e-pawn, which could be dangerous. As things stand now, this check is harmless and even makes things easier for me.

33... Kc6 34. Qg6 Qe2 35. Rg1 Kxc5 36. Qg8?

White's position is hopeless anyway, but this attempt to trap me (36... Qxf2? 37. Qc8+ Kb6 39. Rb1+) brings about a quick demise.

36... Qf3+ 37. Rg2? (37. Kh2 resisted a bit more) Qh3+ 38. Rh2 Rb1+ 39. Qg1 Rxg1+ 40. Kxg1 Qg4+ 41. Rg2 Qd1+ 42. Kh2 Qf3.

White resigns.

So the match was finally a draw at 2.5 - 2.5. But it's really a pity that we keep defaulting games because we could be doing much better, so, er... does any of you know a University of Nottingham student willing to play chess for the team?



UPDATE: Due to some weird trouble with Blogger, I thought this post had been lost and then posted the diagram as a chess problem. I have already deleted the second post as it was pointless if the whole game can be seen here.

21 Comments:

  • muy buen partido!

    de paso: había puesto un post sobre el tuyo del derecho divino de los reyes, pero tengo el mismo problema con blogger, espero que aparezca algún día.

    By Blogger JuanPablo, at 1:48 PM, March 17, 2006  

  • Ja... y yo ni siquiera puedo entrar a tu blog! (Tampoco a dos o tres mas de Blogger, pero a la mayoria si. Quien sabe que misterioso problema tendran). Descubri tu blog hace pocos dias, me gusto mucho y ademas es el primero argentino de ciencia que encuentro, asi que le puse el link enseguida.

    Me alegra que te haya gustado el partido, tenia el temor de que todos los lectores se saltearan el post...

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 5:04 PM, March 17, 2006  

  • (ahora parece que funciona otra vez; cuando pueda te agrego también. De curioso: ¿donde lo viste, por el comment en not even wrong o por el artículo del IMA?)

    volviendo al partido, menos mal que no te jugó 32.Rg1, o estabas al horno!!

    By Blogger JuanPablo, at 9:45 PM, March 17, 2006  

  • Lo unico que puedo hacer en esta situacion es parafrasear a Bobby Fischer (en "Mis 60 mejores partidas"; lo unico que cambie es la jugada): "Inverti toda una velada en considerar la posicion resultante de 32. Rg1, intentando impedir por todos los medios que mi brillantez fuera pisoteada... pero cuanto mas buscaba, mas me gustaba el juego blanco!" (Bueno, en realidad no fue una velada, pero si una buena media hora).

    Parece que 26... c5 merece mas un signo de interrogacion que dos de exclamacion (sin ese peon blanco sosteniendo una amenaza de mate en d6, mi posicion se sostendria). Pero en realidad, probablemente la moraleja es que la ruptura 24... f6 fue prematura y deberia haber mejorado un poco mi posicion primero. Otra moraleja es que con un blog uno multiplica al infinito sus chances de hacer el ridiculo...

    Habia leido el articulo del IMA pero en la revista en papel, sin el link, de modo que si bien en el momento me llamo la atencion el nombre hispano para un blog de matematicas que desconocia, despues me olvide y termine encontrandolo desde el comentario en Not Even Wrong.

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 11:53 PM, March 17, 2006  

  • jajaja! lo que son las idas y vueltas!

    De todas maneras, 26... c5! es linda y te garantiza tablas, jugando 27.bxc5 Bb8! Si 28. Kh1 fxe5 29. Bxe5 Rh4 31.Qe3 Re4
    (si 28. Qe3, deberías ganar, incluso)

    ¿Nunca nos cruzamos en exactas en algún interfacultades? Yo jugué el cuarto y último mío en el 2000, y como siempre, nos ganó derecho

    By Blogger JuanPablo, at 1:16 AM, March 18, 2006  

  • En la partida descarte Bb8 (jugada en lugar de c5 y no despues, aunque no veo un gran cambio) porque no vi ninguna linea claramente ganadora ante su respuesta Re2, sosteniendo el alfil y con con eventuales amenazas sobre e6. Pero es muy posible que se me haya escapado algo.

    Si, es muy probable que nos hayamos cruzado, yo creo que jugue todos los años desde que empece la facu en el '99.

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 1:37 AM, March 18, 2006  

  • Bueno, yo conozco a alguien que los conoce a los dos :)

    Cómo puede ser que gane derecho???? Manipulan las reglas? Apelan el resultado?

    By Anonymous Euge, at 3:41 PM, March 18, 2006  

  • Derecho tiene muchos mas alumnos que Exactas, asi que aunque haya un mayor porcentaje de inteligentes, analiticos, y obsesivos jugadores de ajedrez en Exactas, sigue siendo probable que haya algunos jugadores mejores en Derecho.

    Es como ese viejo acertijo de si es mas probable que un norteamericano intelectual, de izquierda y con anteojos sea bibliotecario o granjero. A pesar de los estereotipos, la respuesta es granjero, porque son muchos mas...

    Quien nos conoce a los dos?

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 4:00 PM, March 18, 2006  

  • Yo :)

    En otra vida tuve un weblog... Y a Juan de Mairena conocí...

    By Anonymous Euge, at 6:08 PM, March 18, 2006  

  • Very nice! I found a place where you can
    make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
    and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
    I made over $900 last month having fun!

    click here to make extra money

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:37 PM, March 19, 2006  

  • Wow... My first spam comment! I'm going to leave this one just for the novelty, but don't worry, all subsequent ones will be deleted

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 7:40 PM, March 19, 2006  

  • euge!!!

    más increíble aún: alejandro también fue alumno mío, aunque creo que no lo sabe!

    By Blogger JuanPablo, at 2:08 AM, March 20, 2006  

  • y ahora te doy una pista: fue mi PEOR cuatrimestre, en una materia que no quería estar, con gente que... mejor ni hablemos de eso, en uno de los peores momentos personales - laborales que recuerde...

    By Blogger JuanPablo, at 2:16 AM, March 20, 2006  

  • euge, lo de derecho es simple: eran todos maestros fide que viajaban jugando torneos por el mundo y cursaban libre. Me acuerdo que la primera vez que los enfrentamos, tres venían de jugar algo por equipos en el exterior, y otro venía de un mundial juvenil...

    By Blogger JuanPablo, at 2:25 AM, March 20, 2006  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:53 AM, March 20, 2006  

  • Sos el Juan Pablo que tuve de ayudante en Matematica 3 (segundo cuatrimestre '99)??

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 10:59 AM, March 20, 2006  

  • no, pensá un cuatrimestre peor

    By Blogger JuanPablo, at 1:58 PM, March 20, 2006  

  • Jajaja que chico es el mundo...

    Mira vos lo de Derecho... Todos los dias se aprende algo nuevo.

    By Anonymous Euge, at 5:15 PM, March 20, 2006  

  • Por cierto Euge, disculpa que se me paso y... feliz cumple!

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 6:02 PM, March 20, 2006  

  • The writer is totally fair, and there is no question.
    san antonio mattress | dealerships in dallas tx | independent medical evaluation

    By Anonymous Isaac, at 2:25 AM, November 27, 2011  


  • many blog posts do not like this provide a useful article for visitors thanks admin
    jaket kulit pria

    By Blogger jaket kulit pria, at 8:51 AM, February 22, 2015  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
/body>