Reality Conditions

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Report on the Quantum Gravity School: the pictures

Being back from Poland only since yesterday, I start here a series of posts reporting on the Quantum Gravity and Quantum Geometry School I attended there. This first one is just for putting up some of the best pictures I have from the two weeks, as many people have been asking me for them. As you can see, Zakopane and its surroundings (the Tatra mountains) are a quite wonderful place.



This group picture of those of us who made it to the peak was taken by Carlo Rovelli.

Thomas Thiemann solving the canonical constraint equations for quantum gravity.


John Barrett and Ileana Naish-Guzman on a long hike we made on the first free day.

Picture taken shortly after the previous one. I urge you to see both on full size by clicking on them; they may easily be the best photos I have taken in my life.

A bunch of happy and slightly inebriated physicists after dining out on one of the last nights


The next post will briefly summarize some of the most important lectures, and the following one will describe at length the discussion session "Where are we in the path to Quantum Gravity?" chaired by Rovelli. Stay tuned!



UPDATE: Oooops, it seems you cannot enlarge the pictures by clicking on them. Well, if you really want to see them just email me and I will send them.

4 Comments:

  • Nice pix - but what I really want to know is, did you guys succeed in unifying quantum M. and gravity?? There's a Nobel prize waiting...

    ;-)

    changcho

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:05 PM, April 06, 2007  

  • Well, you should really have waited for the next posts to hear the answer to that... but I think it won't come as a surprise that it is No; we are not ready to claim that Nobel prize yet! However, there is no lack of exciting developments going on.

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 9:49 PM, April 06, 2007  

  • Ale, it looks like your photos are not clickable! How to get larger versions of them? See you in Morelia (hopefully)!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 PM, April 11, 2007  

  • Hi Alexandru!

    Yes, I noticed that the photos were not really clickable after posting. I've been having some connection problems, unfortunately, and I'm finding it impossible to attach the pictures full size to an email. Maybe I will send to the mailing list a reduced version of some (but not as reduced as the ones on the blog).

    Hope to see you there as well!

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 3:59 PM, April 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>