Reality Conditions

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Poem of the Day

Poe, E.
Near a Raven


Midnights so dreary, tired and weary.
Silently pondering volumes extolling all by-now obsolete lore.
During my rather long nap - the weirdest tap!
An ominous vibrating sound disturbing my chamber's antedoor.
"This", I whispered quietly, "I ignore".

Perfectly, the intellect remembers: the ghostly fires, a glittering ember.
Inflamed by lightning's outbursts, windows cast penumbras upon this floor.
Sorrowful, as one mistreated, unhappy thoughts I heeded:
That inimitable lesson in elegance - Lenore -
Is delighting, exciting...nevermore.



...and so on; read the whole poem here. If you can't understand what underlies this variation on Poe's masterpiece and why it was chosen as poem of the day, this link and a moment of thinking should make it clear.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>