Reality Conditions

Sunday, July 16, 2006

More Links

* Sigfpe continues the discussion on the reality (?) of particles in QFT.

* Dimitri Terryn is blogging an introduction to string theory.

* Scott Aaronson has a Best Anthropicism Contest, where an "anthopicism" is an application of the Anthropic Principle (intended to be self-referential, slightly tautological, and not very serious). My submission was: "Why is the Anthropic Principle silly? Because if it weren't, I wouldn't be writing this comment making fun of it."

* The discussion about Tibbles and ontology continues at Siris. (Update: more here.)

* David Plotz is blogging the Bible at Slate. From the point of view of a "proud but not terribly observant Jew", who has never read the Bible nor studied scholarly commentaries on it, he is just reading the book innocently and blogging his impressions. A funny and sometimes insightful read. I must confess I never went through the whole Bible, though I attempted it twice in my life.

* Via Positive Liberty, I found this terrifying story about the persecution suffered by an atheist family in Oklahoma. I have wrote nice and conciliatory posts about how science and religion need not clash, but that doesn't mean that these stories don't get me as incensed as your average Pharyngula reader. Specially if you add other similarly disheartening stories like the persecuted Jewish family in Delaware and Rob Knop's encounter with creationists. What is wrong with America?

* Of course you could rather ask what is wrong with the world. Sigh.

4 Comments:

  • What is wrong with America?

    do you mean 'America' or do you mean 'the US'? I am writing from Canada today, and I think I've heard of intelligent life south of Texas... to begin with, what's wrong the the US is that they think they ARE the whole world. Just my impression.

    Don't let it get to you.

    Thanks for the stupid title :-)

    Best, B.

    By Blogger Sabine Hossenfelder, at 3:44 PM, July 18, 2006  

  • Weeell... if we are here to nitpick, then talk of "the US" is not enough either -you could be talking of the United Mexican States!

    At Dynamics of Cats there was a post today about a couple of brilliant PhD Thesis titles, by the way:

    Dynamics of Neutron Stars and Binaries in Globular Clusters
    or, Ménages à trois: revitalizing burnt out degenerates through partner swapping

    and

    The persistence of charm in the relentless decay of beauty.

    Lovely!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:43 PM, July 18, 2006  

  • If I may advertise some new pieces in the Logic Museum (my website on logic matters, mostly traditional and medieval logic)

    The piece by A.N.Prior on space-time that I mentioned in the discussion with Brandon

    http://uk.geocities.com/frege@btinternet.com/time/thankgoodness.htm

    And a page on the Square of Opposition here

    http://uk.geocities.com/frege@btinternet.com/opposition/opposition.htm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 PM, July 18, 2006  

  • Sorry, the above wasn't anonymous, but by me.

    By Blogger Edward Ockham, at 8:16 PM, July 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>