Reality Conditions

Friday, June 30, 2006

Quantum Links

* Via both Uncertain Principles and Physics Musings, I found a blog that has immediately made it to my sidebar, Quantum Quandries, and its post on criteria for judging interpretations of quantum mechanics. It is a meta-meta-QM post, discussing neither QM nor its interpretations, but which minium set of criteria should satisfy an interpretation to be an acceptable one. The list (a pretty long one) looks highly reasonable to me, and I think few people would dispute it. ...But is there any interpretation which satisfies all the criteria?

* The relation of the interpretation of QM to the interpretation of probability theory is discussed by Steve Esser at Guide to Reality.

* The unvaluable Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy has a new and very interesting article on Quantum Field Theory. Some of the issues discussed in it are touched upon in the comment thread of this recent post of mine, where I discuss with Sigfpe the implications of the Unruh effect.

* There is an interesting discussion of Loop Quantum Gravity going on at Jacques Distler's blog, where Lee Smolin braves into enemy territory to defend LQG against the criticism of scores of string theorists.


And that will be all for today. I have to rush back home to get in time to see the Germany - Argentina match. For the record, I have stated my opinion that whoever wins this match will also win the World Cup. Let's hope it is us...

4 Comments:

  • Oh, crap.

    Crap.

    Well, at least as nobody "won the match" (it goes as a draw in the records, penalties are just a way of determinig who passes to next round), I have justification for refraining to conclude that Germany will win the cup. They didn't play well at all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 PM, June 30, 2006  

  • I really think that it was unfair. But it's the same old story. Bad luck. Germany did it's job. The referee did his job. We tried, we couldn't. Penalties are all about luck.
    Alejandro: I'm sure it's not easy, being there now. Truth be told, it's not any easier here.
    Aguante Argentina.

    By Blogger Pimpinela, at 1:24 AM, July 01, 2006  

  • Lady Marian, from this city in which you met your beloved Robin Hood, I thank you for the supporting comment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:17 PM, July 01, 2006  

  • I guess it´s a relief for you that Portugal won...
    Yesterday I went to your sister´s graduation party... I decided it was my responsibility to fill your void, so the only ice-cream flavour I had was chocolate.

    By Blogger DrNitro, at 9:48 PM, July 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>