Reality Conditions

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Some things

I have been having problems with my server at home and cannot log into Blogger from there. This explains the scarcity of posting, since I generally try not to blog from my office in the University where I am supposed to be working. If this problem continues I will start to write the posts at home and then post them here at uni.

I went to the theatre to see Lady Windermere's fan a couple of days ago. Though it was the play by Wilde I liked most in reading them, seeing a representation of it has made me change my mind. The funny bits and examples of Wildean wit in it are great; it has one of his most famous lines, "I can resist everything except temptation", as well as one of my own favourites, "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes". But most of the dramatic parts felt hollow and unreal, at least until the last act. Perhaps it was a problem with the production, which was an amateur one, instead of with the play itself. However, I suspect that Wilde as playwright is at his best in comedy and not in drama, much better in producing laughter than emotion. This would make The importance of being Earnest his best play, as seems to be the general opinion.

On the cathegory of "weirdest searches leading people to this blog" we have a new contender, though I don't like it as much as the classic chess entropy search. Someone came here hours ago from a Google search for:

duke + rape + einstein + blogspot

In case you haven't hear about the shocking Duke rape case, you can read all about it here (also lots of discussion here). But what has poor old Al to do with it???


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>