Reality Conditions

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

#1 in Google meme

Yet another meme that has been going around to replace what could have been a thoughtful post with some navel-gazing fun. This time the idea is to find five search keywords or phrases that retrive your blog as first result in Google. I found several of these after some playing around (trying to avoid obvious things like post-titling phrases unlikely to appear elsewhere). My 5 favourite examples:

1. reality conditions

Yes, an obvious one, but considering that it is a common phrase in mathematics and mathematical physics and also the title of a book, I am rather proud to be the first one (the first two, actually).

2. evolution and theism compatible

I get both results #1 and #2 for this one! If that doesn't make me a Neville Chamberlain evolutionist, I don't know what can make it ;).

3. review thomas nagel

4. review lee smolin

5. review cosmic jackpot

My book reviews seem to be rather popular with Google. I am also #2 (after Amazon) for the simple string "cosmic jackpot". Curiously enough, I am #1 for "review neal" but not for "review neal stephenson".

And as bonus, the result that indulges my vainity the most: I am the #10 google result for the search "alejandro", thus appearing in the first page displayed, just a few lines below Peru president Alejandro Toledo, filmmaker Alejandro Amenabar, and Alexander the Great (who is Alejandro Magno in Spanish).

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Ha, and you're number 9 when it comes to googling `Satz'! I thought that all the results of Herr Hilbert and co will get you much lower on that count.

    I am not very surprised, reading `Reality Conditions' is a pleasure even more Googlers should taste.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 PM, October 25, 2007  

  • Wow - considering how many Alejandros there must be, to be #10 on Google is quite an accomplishment!

    changcho

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 PM, October 25, 2007  

  • Thanks to both of you! I should say that results may vary depending on the computer you use because Google stores info on your previous searches and gives you "likely results" in a higher position. In other computers than my own I could not get into the top 10 for Alejandro, nor could I reproduce the weird "review neal" effect. But the five #1s that I listed were still there.

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 10:47 PM, October 25, 2007  

  • Excellent article. I am experiencing a few of these issues as well..

    By Anonymous website design company, at 11:35 AM, September 21, 2013  

  • I enjoyed this post thanks for sharing.

    By Anonymous Bobby Chase, at 6:21 PM, January 04, 2022  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>