Reality Conditions

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Saturday Book Shopping

Saturday is the day in the week I usually dedicate to the boring but necessary tasks of washing my clothes and doing groceries shopping. Today was no exception, but before getting to the supermarket I got into the few secondhand bookstores there are in Beeston (the suburb of Nottingham where I live) and made the following acquisitions:

- Gilbert Ryle, The Concept of Mind (£ 3.49)
- Richard Webster, Why Freud was Wrong (£ 2.99)
- J.R.R Tolkien, Unfinished Tales (£ 3.99)

The corresponding book reviews may take some time to come, due to the large list of reading material that I have at the moment.

You may be pardoned by thinking, seeing the prices of the books, that the bookshop where I bought them always ends the prices of books in "-nine pence". And you would be right, only that it is not that bookshop but all of them, and not only books but all articles. In Britain almost all prices end in "-nine pence". It is difficult to understand why -does the obvious psycological trick of giving non-thinking buyers the visual impression that the article is cheaper, really compensate for the need to have and pass around millions of those useless 1 penny coins? And what do the British consumers do with all those coins they get in change? I put them in a little box and about once per year (when it is full) take it to the bank and exchange it for about £5. Is that the normal practice, or do people actually use the coins?

2 Comments:

  • Webster`s one is for sale in Buenos Aires, 6 pesos I think...

    So (not a very scientific comment for a blog like this), le me do a Nelson Munch`s HA HA!

    By Blogger Mundo del Cinismo, at 6:36 PM, February 05, 2006  

  • At least now I'll be able to see if my old chestnut ("the only difference between psychoanalysis and tarot is that tarot is cheaper") was justified after all...

    What would Dr. Robalindo say, I wonder?

    By Blogger Alejandro, at 7:05 PM, February 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
/body>